In my usual loveable (perhaps somewhat annoying) style, this is a rambling story of my struggles with Auto Layout. If you want to cut to the chase, feel free to skip to the last few paragraphs.
I must admit that I have long resisted the charms of Auto Layout. When I tried to use it I felt as though I was fighting it to get it to do what I wanted, and that it was a liability rather than an assistance. Of course this is often the way when you first start using a powerful feature. It takes time to learn enough to be productive.
Recently I sat myself down and gave myself a stern talking to about this situation. Having mulled over the wisdom of my words I buckled down to come to grips with Auto Layout.
I created a small testbed app to simulate the main behaviours I wanted to implement in an existing app. Within a couple of hours I had that working fine, so I started to implement it in the existing app. That went pretty smoothly but one seemingly strange behaviour kept bugging me …
I laid out my UI in the standard 600x600 view that Interface Builder presents. Of course this meant that many of the UI elements were a different size than would be the case on an actual device. But that’s OK because that is the entire point of Auto Layout. Right ? Put the UI on a device and Auto Layout does it’s thing and all is well.
The problem was that “the first time around” my code was seeing sizes for UI elements that were appropriate for the 600x600 layout, but not for the device. At “some later point” in the code Auto Layout seemingly kicked in and the sizes were as expected. It wasn’t immediately clear when this happened.
On the whole the app was working fine, which in itself was a bit confusing if it was initially thinking it was on a 600x600 view. The issue showed up in some minor ways, but not enough to stop me cold. Nevertheless this niggled at me. Obviously all was not working as I expected or could explain - never a good situation if you want stable code.
My first thought was to force Auto Layout to kick in earlier in the process. I played around with a few options until in desperation I resurrected a real kludge that was commented out in my code, left over from trying to troubleshoot a rotation problem a few years ago. This involved presenting and dismissing a modal view controller with no view (yes, yes, I know).
This came up with a warning about presenting a view on view controller that was not in the view hierarchy. Bingo! Everything suddenly clicked into place.
The code that was seeing the non-updated layout was being called from viewDidLoad, so was occurring before the view was added to the window. Without being part of the view hierarchy Auto Layout had no overall size to play with so could do nothing. When I moved the code from loadView to viewDidAppear: it worked as expected.
So the moral of this story is do not interrogate sizes and positions of UI elements that you expect Auto Layout to manage until after the view is in the view hierarchy (ie. viewDidAppear or later).
A corollary to this is do not remove a view from the hierarchy and expect it to keep it's Auto Layout controlled attributes. I had a bit of logic that swapped a view out of the hierarchy to rebuild the subviews and then swapped it back in. Under Auto Layout it appeared to get a zero size when swapped out.
The other moral of this story is never accept unexplained behaviour in your code. It can be monumentally frustrating at times but when the lightbulb goes on, all becomes clear and it is marvellous. These moments are what I love about being a developer.